Before Dr. Deborah Gilboa (aka, Dr. G) became a doctor, she was a performer and stage manager at world-renowned comedy institution Second City.
But one day, she felt like she wasn’t earning her oxygen. She yearned to make a bigger contribution to solving the problems of the world.
She thought she wanted to fix people.
Today Dr. G is a practicing physician and sought after expert on resilience. Her journey is living proof of her belief that resilience isn’t about bouncing back: resilience is about incorporating the change you experience and using it to become the person you want to be.
In this episode, Dr. G and I chat about:
- Why she didn’t feel like she was making a big contribution to solving the problems of the world
- Her unconventional path to becoming a doctor
- What she learned about herself from going to summer camp
- How her parents inspired her to study resilience
- The dangers of labeling people as sensitive
- Why it takes 72 small disappointments build resilience
- Why she is less impressed with herself today